• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Market for lower powered, single seat Pitts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a single seat Pitts and wanted to get some opinions and advice.
....and have my thinking on the subject "checked" as there are likely things I don't even realize I don't know.

As cost is an issue and I'm not what anyone would consider a hard core aerobatic type and won't be competing, I think something like a S-1C with a smaller engine (less than 180HP) would be more than enough for me. There seems to be many higher performing S-1's out there with 180HP or more but there's also a cost associated with having that engine on the airframe, right?. Not to mention that these "other S-1's" perform better with their different airfoils and four ailerons vs. the two ailerons on the C model
So, I'm seeing S-1C's out there with O-320's and even a couple w/ O-290's. All things being equal should you see a price reduction with C models that have these smaller engines vs. a 180HP? And then for re-sale, is there a market for a S-1C with say a O-290 making 135HP? Or would the demand for a lower powered Pitts make it difficult for me to sell in the future?

And BTW, I don't have a lot of Pitts experience. Miscellaneous flights with friends here and there and then a 10 session course in a S-2C that was focused almost exclusively on recovery from the variety of upright and inverted spins and then of course, many landings. I would definitely need to get into the front seat of a S-2 to get tuned up for the S-1 and then take it very easy after that.

Thanks very much for any input you can provide!

Latest posts

Back