• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Marquart Charger for sale on Ebay

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This plane appears to be based off the Marquart Charger MA-5 design. I see several differences though:

- The tail feathers were built with a shape resembling that of a Citabria.

- Tubular steel landing gear.

- Ailerons omitted from the upper wing.

- Wing design modified to utilize an upper wing center section rather than a two piece upper wing.

- Two pairs of roll wires.

- Fewer stringers on the fuselage.

- Modified interplane struts include 2 tie rods in place of a center interplane strut.

- Modified wingtip shape.

cashflyer

Reaction score
Interesting. Somebody will want it just because of the movie tie-in, I bet.
I wonder how it handled with that camera platform mounted on it?!

MA5_from_Flyboys.jpg

Reaction score
I wish the script would have been a little smaller, that way I wouldn't have bothered with my 60 year old eyes. The landing gear looks like it was adapted from a cessna. I see 980 pound empty wt and 180 hp. That's good.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the empty weight is fantastic for a Charger. The gear is undoubtedly lighter than the original design... some weight savings on the stringers and lack of upper ailerons probably helped too. The roll rate doesn't look like it suffered at all either based upon the movie clips I saw with it.

Reaction score
Well...after watching the trailer and checking out the cast I have my favorite character, Jennifer.

r0cknry

Registered Users
Reaction score
Not the best looking Charger I have ever seen but definitely not bad looking either!

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gear looks nice and wide but needs fairings or something. And that tail group isn't my favorite. I like the plans better. I wonder if it uses stock decathlon elevators and rudder? If so maybe it was done to save build time? Does look like a fun light bird. 980 lbs seems really low. What do most other chargers weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Most other chargers are around 1100, but I have seen them in the high 900's.

Glenn

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This airplane is up for sale again on Ebay. The opening bid is at $23,000 with no reserve listed.

For a two place biplane with 512 hours on the airframe and engine SMOH that is a good price. This one has the O-360 engine and weighs in at 980 lbs!

5bravobravo

Reaction score
This aircraft is still for sale, albeit not advertised.

It is getting a fresh annual in the next few weeks and will be ready to go soon.

If anyone is interested please let me know as I will begin a new campaign to get it sold soon. As much as I enjoy it, my vision has deteriorated drastically in the last few years and I'm no longer flying it.

The aircraft was not flown with that rig on the wing by the way! That was strictly for ground based photography.

BVIBIPE

Reaction score
This aircraft is still for sale, albeit not advertised.

It is getting a fresh annual in the next few weeks and will be ready to go soon.

If anyone is interested please let me know as I will begin a new campaign to get it sold soon. As much as I enjoy it, my vision has deteriorated drastically in the last few years and I'm no longer flying it.

The aircraft was not flown with that rig on the wing by the way! That was strictly for ground based photography.
I would be interested ? Ck your PM . Joe

5bravobravo

Reaction score
Sorry I don't check this sight..

I still have 5BB, I feel really bad about her sitting there. I don't want to part with such a nice airplane, but my vision continues to deteriorate and flying it is really out of the question...So let me know if interested, I'm as motivated as ever to let her go...somewhere south of 20K, it's a steal, whether you take her to fly or take her to do a build, she's loaded with nice stuff and here in Az that stuff stays nice..

email me at [email protected] if interested.

5bravobravo

Reaction score
Mt eyesight is shot, taking offers on this aircraft, or time to part it out..

5bravobravo

Reaction score
Front cockpit has full flight controls and instrumentation.

Following are the general specifications of this aircraft.

Engine: Lycoming O-360-A3A (180hp, carbureted, capable of running constant speed propeller)

Engine time: 514.2SMOH

Total Time Airframe: 514.2

Approximate fuel consumption 10gal/hour

Fuel capacity 22gal usable (no “flop tube”, there is an extra 7 gallons usable to be had with some effort)

Fuel type 100LL

Gross Weight 1550lb

Empty weight 980lb

Wing span 22’5", wing chord 45", 11deg sweep

Length 23"5'

Prop Sensenich 76EM8S5-0-56 (fixed)

Cruise speed 130mph

Vne 185mph (redline)

stall speed 58mph

best glide 75mph

Max climb rate 1300fpm

Design +6, -3G

Cleveland brakes

New 600-C McCreary tires

New plugs, Autolite UREM040E

New aviation products tail wheel/Maule tire

Mode C transponder

Terra Nav-Com

PTT (push to talk) switches are configured into the stick of each cockpit to allow communication between pilot/passenger by a thumb motion. It is also possible for the pilot to omit passenger from transmitting if desired.

This plane is deviated from a standard Charger, built more like a Bucker Jungmeister , the fuselage is built by Marquart, the tail is shaped a bit different, more like a Citabria, this airplane has nice ground handling, and very nice handling in flight. It is nimble and responsive, not a competition ship, but admirable performer that can out perform any 200 hp greatlakes hands down. The plane has been flyig since the early 80's, and is solid, reliable, extremely well built. not a show plane.
IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3699.JPG

It is offered as is where is, it is out of annual, has been run regularly and should give no troubles to either put it in annual or ferry it out. I am willing to assist with the annual if someone is realistic on a price and seriously interested. My vision is shot and I will no longer fly. I know what this airplane is and is not, please refrain educating me, if you are interested, ask for contact info and we can discuss.

Attachments

Latest posts