• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

mounting video camera/camcorder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Pitts S1-C is getting recovered this winter and I'm doing a bunch of cutting/welding/modifying anyway. It would be easy to add a video camera mount, and I'm thinking on the front of the fin, near the top rib might be a good place. Maybe a couple horizontal 3/8" short tubes 3" or so apart, sort of like the attach holes on the main spar of fin for the new-style strap hinges on the rudder. Then I could attach camera with fabricated bracket; if no camera attached, holes would have a negligible effect on airframe. Also, I could incorporate internal wiring up to cockpit at this stage. (Or do remotes work ok in this application?)

Any suggestions, like recommended cameras/features? Any aerodynamic stability problems? Modern cameras are ridiculously light.

I'm not trying to put professional videographers out of business; just want to document what flying the single-seat Pitts is like. Maybe someday the wife will understand!

I tried a 640x480 Oregon Scientific camera on sale at the local sporting goods store. It was designed to mount on bicycle handlebars or helmet. I strapped it onto my bike helmet, jumped in Pitts, and took off.
1) it was hard to fiddle with the tiny buttons while flying. Finally just turned it on before takeoff and left it there.
2) I had no idea which way it was really pointed. It ended up being at about 330 degrees relative to nose of plane.
3) that camera's low frame rate interacted with propeller in an obnoxious fashion (when I turned my head right enough to actually look through the propeller).

Latest posts

Back