• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

MP Gauge INOP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouB747

Reaction score
Alls well on the Eagle front, except on my last flight I lost MP. The engine didn't, but the gauge fell to the bottom of the scale. Engine runs fine. That said, the flight back was a little weird without the gauge.

A friend thought that maybe the line had a leak, but I'm pretty sure that line pulls suction, and a leak would make the gauge read high. Also, upon shutdown the gauge is still stuck full low scale.

Anyways, I went about sourcing a new one and actually decided to go with separate MP and Fuel Press gauges. So, now the fun begins. I managed to get to the back of the MP Gauge. It looks as shown. I unscrewed and pulled the AIR line. I loosened the FUEL line enough to see fuel as I thought I would. I don't have any way of capping the fuel line as of yet. If I pull it, will it drip a lot of fuel? I'm assuming turning the fuel selector OFF would be a good idea, but the knob seems like it's been in ON forever. I didn't want to force it. Does the knob just turn? Or is there a detent or something to prevent it from turning to OFF? Maybe I won't need to turn it off. Thoughts? Also, it there a way to cap that line easily until the Fuel Press gauge arrives? Assuming the picture of the AIR line is exactly what the FUEL line will look like. And lastly, if I need to lengthen the fuel line to reach to new gauge location, what's the best way to do that?

One last thing, the blue " 45 degree attachment" isn't on the new MP gauge. If fact, it just has a hole in it. I was hoping to use the one off the old gauge, but it seems to been in there pretty tight. What's that piece called? Hard to find it on Spruce without knowing what to type!

Hopefully the pics help.

Thanks, Lou

MP.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

Latest posts

Back