• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Need Help. APA application rejected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
I submitted an application for an APA at 2IS in Florida.

The new airport manager hates the idea and the response from the FAA was basically his email to them types and sent to me.

The reasons given were:
1. Close to hwy 27

2. There is a skydiving center at the airport

3. Within 150 feet of a nesting site for protected birds

4. Over an agricultural area where they use spray planes

5. Skydiving again

6. General safety

1. Close to hwy 27. Ok, I'll move the box so it is now over the airport and now in the aircraft traffic pattern. I was trying to avoid airplanes, so I put the box away from the pattern and both instrument approaches.

2 & 5. An APA has as much right to a federally funded airport as a dropzone. Again, I had placed it were it would not interfere with the dropzone.

Now what I need is a list of airports that have both an APA and a dropzone to provide as proof that this is not an issue.

I know that x51, which is in the Miami FSDO has both. But I would like a list of a few more to support my position.

3. Over protected birds. I can move the box, but they didn't tell me where they were. I called and asked, they have not returned my calls.... But if it is a protected area.... Maybe the crop dusters should not be flying and spraying herbicides and insecticides there?

4. Spraying planes without radios.
a. Maybe they should have radios
b. That is what the APA has a person on the ground.
c. They do not spray all day everyday.

I called the agent and asked him for the location of the protected bird nesting area. I also asked for the regulation that says skydiving has precedence over an APA in the federal airway system.

Latest posts

Back