• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New cylinders and 10:1 Barrett valve job or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Ok, some of you read my last posts about overhauling my engine. I decided against the ECI experimental cylinders for a couple of reasons. Everyone seems to think the Superior is a much nicer cylinder??? I don't want to rebuild my baffling setup for the ECI's either.
I already have new Combustion Technologies 10:1 pistons and rings, same pistons Barrett Precision engines use.

J&J quoted me $803 each for new complete Superiors minus piston and rings.

Barrett quoted me a couple of hundred more on each cylinder. The Barrett's are more because they go through them. They do a 3 angle valve job and reassemble before selling them.

I know Barrett has a very good name in the aerobatic community. Just wondering if its worth a couple hundred extra per cylinder? Trying to decide on this or just order them from J&J and save?
Opinions please..... Will Barrett's name on them make the airplane worth more when its time to sell? Will I see any performance benefits?

Latest posts

Back