• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New guy, old, old build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckhd

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just found/joined the biplane forum. Looks like a good place for all things biplane!

I just inherited... well, not inherited (he's still alive) a Skybolt from my dad that he started in '76. It's very close to finished with all the major components built. Long story short, the Skybolt has been in this condition for the last 20 years. He sorta fizzled out on it when he couldn't figure out an effective and affordable canopy (we know there are simple and effective canopies now).

He has built several things since he started the skybolt. He built a helicopter, 180 Super Cub (his 'baby' for over three decades), most of a Staggerwing, a high quality accurate replica of a Wells Fargo stagecoach, and many, many other things I can't remember right now. He had been flying since about '70, but recently almost wrecked his Cub on a landing, and decided that 70 years old is probably old enough to stop flying, so he sold the Cub (his only flying airplane at the time).

My goal for this Skybolt is to finish it fast enough to take him flying in it. I know he doesn't trust his reaction time and other things anymore, but I'd like to at least let him fly the front seat and get a little stick time with it. If nothing else, just take him for a ride in it. He has been building it for SO long, and used to be SO passionate about it, I'd like to give him the treat and let him fly in it.

So, I'll have lots of questions, and hopefully will be able to have a few answers as well. I have two questions right away (I'll put in different threads) and look forward to getting to know the people on this board!

-Bowen

Latest posts

Back