• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Pitts Pilot/Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersdj

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'd like to introduce myself.

I just bought an S-1E a few weeks ago and its my first Pitts to own and to solo. The plane was built by Dennis Sawyer in 1981 from a factory welded fuselage and Sparcraft wings with the symmetrical ailerons. A third flying wire was added later. It's powered by an O-360-A4A with a metal Sensenich 76x58 prop that I'm not too happy with. The logbook says high compression pistons were added during a rebuild but the ratio wasn't given.

I've been flying Sportsman in a SuperD, and the Pitts rolls so unbelievably easier than the SuperD it ought to be outlawed from contests! I have about 15 landings in it and only a little acro. A lot of people ask me how it compares to the Eagle (which I flew 3 flights in for the insurance) and my Cassutt. I did very little acro in the Eagle, but it's like driving a truck compared to the Pitts. The deck angle is also lower which gives better viz than my Pitts in the flare.

The Cassutt is 300lbs lighter and lands 20mph faster than the Pitts. I also fly 400 Lambs pumped up to 60psi on the Cassutt. The viz out the Cassutt is much much better than the Pitts. The controls on the Cassutt are more sensitive than the Pitts, and it's much easier to get into PIO in pitch. The Cassutt is more difficult to keep straight but the better visibility helps. The Pitts rolls much better and faster than the Cassutt.

I asked this forum a lot of questions before I bought my plane and I appreciate all the advice. I have a lot more questions that I'll post in separate threads. Hopefully I can give back as much help as I've gotten.

Thanks,
Dan
Based in Longmont, CO

photo-1-6735.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back