• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Odd prop/gov RPM behavior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmovies

Reaction score
Hello Pitts folks,

I’ve just installed a new prop (MTV-9-B-C/C200-25) and governor (PCU5000X) on my experimental Pitts. RPM control is generally excellent throughout all power settings and airspeed. I do have two problems, though:

1) Max RPM is only 2500 (should be 2700) at any power setting and airspeed, EXCEPT

2) Max RPM will sometimes surge up to 2650 at high airspeed (175 mph) when I reduce power from 25 inches manifold pressure down to say 20 inches.

I had similar behavior on my old metal Hartzel 2-blade prop and Woodward governor, so I’m thinking there is something odd about the engine that causes this. Perhaps some kind of strange behavior on the crank case pressure. The last condition inspection lists two of the six cylinders at 69/80 on compression test. Perhaps I’m getting blow by on these two cylinders that is adding pressure to the case and somehow influencing the operation of the governor? I don’t imagine that crank case pressure would influence oil pressure into the governor but perhaps it does something to the oil return from the governor to the sump? Like when I reduce power the crank case pressure drops and allows more oil to flow out from the exit of the governor?

I do not believe the engine case ventilation is blocked. I do get the typical oil dripping out the exit tube back by the tailwheel after acro, and I think that would confirm proper operation of the vent and air-oil separator. I don’t know what pressure is typically built up inside the case but if it is just vented to atmosphere then my pressurized crankcase theory may not hold.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. I’ve done some simple acro and with max throttle and prop full forward I get 25 inches manifold and 2500 RPM and it holds very steady. I’d like to adjust the governor stop to get more RPM but if I set 2700 RPM I’m afraid of surge past 2700 RPM when I pull power back at high airspeed.

Thanks,
Paul Klusman

N6238C with Whirlwind.jpg

Latest posts

Back