• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil cooler mounting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score
I purchased a Vans RV-10 oil cooler mount and oil cooler and was planning where to mount it. I was thinking of mounting it at an angle on the right side. This would allow me to weld some brackets to the diagonal fuselage tube for solid mounting (black line in picture is where the tube runs) and make for a pretty short curve for the scat from the right rear baffel.

Does it make a difference if the ports on the oil cooler are positioned facing up or down? I can mount it to make room for the fittings and hoses either way but thought I read somewhere of a preferred direction but can't find it again. Also, there are two -8 AN fittings on the accy. case of my 540. Am I correct that they are the hose connections to the oil cooler? One is located just above the left mag and the other is just inboard (about 8 o'clock) of the right mag. If one hose should be run to the low side of the cooler, which fitting would that run from on the accy. case?

IMG_0368 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back