Oil Cooler Type, and Placement O-290-D

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by Dave Baxter, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:42 PM #1

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So who has had the best success in placing oil coolers to do the best job? Also size and type of cooler used?
    I currently have a 9 row classic oil cooler, that I planned on using, but almost every where I try to place it I run into interference. I am looking at a 6 row 6" long Aero Classics HE series cooler. I know that aviation has a 300 yr long history and tradition unhampered by progress, and perhaps the newer smaller more efficient cooler design might be the way to go. Opinions please, especially from those with the smaller lycomings that have had good or great success, with cooler choice, and mounting? Dave

2. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:43 PM #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Oops, guess I should have placed this in the engine section, sorry Beej?

3. Jul 12, 2018 at 12:47 AM #3

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I suggest mounting your larger oil cooler on the firewall and running a SCAT duct from the rear baffle. Bend up cone-shaped transition from the SCAT tubing to the front face of the oil cooler. Your oil cooler will last longer when it is not subjected to engine vibration and since the oil connections are on the rear of the engine, your hoses will be shorter.

Best of luck,

Wes

4. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM #4

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I like the scat hose and firewall because I think it acts like a divergent duct if done right. I think it controls the air better in the cowl. My SD1 has the standard oil cooler on the left rear baffle. Actually the mount is there but the cooler is one of the things missing from my FWF.

5. Jul 12, 2018 at 2:53 AM #5

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

My $.02. I had the complete FWF IO320B1A off a PA30 on my Acroduster 2. The stock oil cooler is mounted on the left rear baffle. It runs hotter than I'd like. I seem to be fighting a battle between too cool CHT if I opened the cowl exit enough to keep oil cool. I suspect the main issue is that the PA30 is faster and has cowl flaps( I think)

My plan is to mount the same cooler for the HIO360 and suspect it might run hotter. I like the idea of FW mount and running scat. Maybe be able to control CHT./oil temp independent of each other?

Jack

6. Jul 12, 2018 at 6:43 AM #6

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

The standard installation for the RV guys is mounting the cooler on the left rear baffle. This works well for most, however some have cooling issues even with this, and have, as suggested the cooler be mounted on the fire wall, with a scat tube ducted to it. The RVs though are quite a bit faster and have a much smaller nose bowl air entrance, compared to the traditional Starduster/Comanche open nose bowl? Also my SA-100 has gills. Not sure how all of these issues would effect the oil cooling, if mounted in a similar fashion? Only so much air will go through the engine if baffle's are installed correctly, and the rest will just stack up and go out and around the cowl. Getting enough air to the cooler, through it and out of the engine compartment would be the trick, but I would prefer not having to do it twice! My son Dan's Starduster, and the Skybolt both 540s required a second cooler in hot weather, and both had an inlet in the front baffle and scat tube ducted to the cooler mounted under the back of engine close to the bottom rear cowl exit, and both worked very well in cooling the engine oil temperature, and this was what I was planning on doing, but the 9 row cooler I have is a bit big to fit there in a similar installation. Dave

7. Jul 14, 2018 at 6:22 AM #7

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Dave my 0-235 has the cooler mounted on the firewall with scat tube to it. Works like a charm. Hot days full power climb max temps I see are about 195. Scat tube comes off hole in the nose bowl and in thewi Terri use clear Gorilla tape to cap off the opening almost completely. I’d have to look at cooler though as don’t know what size it is but it’s fairly small.

8. Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM #8

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Where on the FW? How about some pictures if possible. I'm done with the install of the HIO360, almost ready to test fly. Want to get it in the air ASAP to see if performance is sufficient but suspect oil temps will be too high so I'd like to know what solution to think about? FW on the AD 2 is rather "busy" and it won't be that easy.

Thanks,

Jack

9. Jul 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM #9

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

DFBEE9A2-7D70-4B10-8224-FBE6FA15B731.jpeg FWIW mine is firewall mounted at an angle just right of center (when sitting in aircraft). Scat tube from engine cowling and seems to work great on my O-320. 80-85C even on the hottest days and worst conditions. It’s hard to see but it’s lower left just below the ballast weight.

10. Jul 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM #10

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

upload_2018-7-14_9-21-35.png

A little brightening, hope it helps......

11. Jul 14, 2018 at 5:07 PM #11

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

ernstfokker and biplanebob like this.