• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

parachute wanted

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I am looking for a ggod used chute to use in my Acro sport II. Plane still not finished but thought I would start looking. Not really sure whether I should be looking for a back pack or seat type but probably am leaning toward a back pack since I currently fly a Citabria.

Flying Ant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
GIve Allen Silver at Silver parachutes a call. He is an aerobatic pilot as well as skydiver, packer, rigger and all round nice guy. Excellent service and has sold more parachutes to aerobatic pilots than I've had hot dinners and can probably tell you off the top of his head what most people use in Skybolts.

He often has second hand ones for sale and he inspects them before selling them. He can also do pre-purchase inspections on one you find for the price of shipping and re-pack I think, but check with him on that.

He's in the San Francisco bay area but I'm pretty sure he gets to Sun n Fun each year. www.silverparachutes.com

If you do get one from him make sure you get a SMAK pack too. Edited by: Flying Ant

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you for the information. I will get in touch with him and see what he has available. Or at least ask that he keep his eyes open for a good trade in.Tad

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd try one on, in the airplane before I bought one. For me, a seatpack was the most comfortable in the AS2. I bought a Butler that was custom made for me andmy AS2 when I was at Oshkosh.

I also have a Strong 311 Wedge backpack chute.It pushes me too far forward andI can't the stick all the way back. But, I'm not a little guy. It might be possible to get me to sell it if you're interested. Its got a fairly fresh repack by Strong and it does have the aerobatic harness. I really don't need it, but I kind of like the idea of having it around for some reason.

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You are probably right about trying one on before I buy. My concern with the seat pack is that I have a Pitts S2 canopy that will be on the plane and I am afraid my head will hit the canopy. I fly an F-1 rocket on occasion and it has a very similar bubble canopy. My head, with head set on, hits the canopy during some manuvers and I don't have a parachute on and the cushion is very flat and hard. I am thinking the flat softie long chute may be the way for me to go but I have no where to try one before buying.

Thanks,
Tad

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the S2 canopy, but my seat pack chute does put my head into my single place canopy. It works great during open cockpit operations though. If your ever up this way again, you're welcome to try the Strong. It would work for me if it sat about 6" lower on my back.

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks Cameron. Too bad I didn't think to ask you about it when I was there.I have completed the radio box and will probably mount it directly to the passengers seat back. I think you had said somewhere along the way that you had thought about using that method. I'll let you know how it worked for me. I will also send you pictures.Your plans were great and made the process easy.Thanks again.Tad

darylat8750

Reaction score
"and the cushion is very flat and hard."

One negative about the soft cushins is that when you pull you sink down and it changes your sight lines. If sitting on a parachute you have almost no vertical movement with g changes.

robertsailor

Reaction score
How big are you?

I use a backpack in the ACS2, everything is very tight but doable. I can use a seatpack with open cockpits but I already stick up higher than I'd like because I'm tall in the torso so I stay with a backpack with a 1" dense foam cushion on my seat bottom and my back against the metal. Good for 1 hour and I really want to get out of there after that. If I spent anymore time than that they would need the "jaws of life" to get me out.

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I'm 6-0, 208 lbs and I too am long in the upper body. I don't think the seat pack is an option with the canopy so I am looking a a softie thin/long unit. I have got to try to find somewhere to try one on and then hope it works in the ASII. I know it will work fine in my Citabria.Tad

robertsailor

Reaction score
Tad,
We are similar in size..I'm 6'-1" and 195lbs. I can't fit with the rear canopy on so I removed it and I'm going open cockpit. If you have a seatpack you'll never make it with a Pitts rear canopy. I think your choice of a thin long unit is a good one. I have a couple of chutes. One is a softie back pack and I can make that work for long enough but it does push me forward a bit although I can get full throw on all controls

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have not gotten to the point of installing the canopy yet and have toyed with the idea of not even installing it since I am a very fair weather pilot. I did install a heater system for those cold days and I guess that is why I have the canopy. Thanks for your input. I have pretty much locked in on the softie long chute so I can keep my options semi-open.I wish I could get down to 195 but that is doubtful.Tad

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
tdpole1 said:
I wish I could get down to 195 but that is doubtful.

Tad

That's the easiest part of your delima.....just eat less and move more.....tried and true.

Best regards,

Brad

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are quite a bit lighter than me. I'm 5'10" and 255lbs. Needless to say, with a backpack chute on, my gut gets in the way.

By the way, I think there's a Softie like you are looking for on Barnstormers right now.

Robert,
I'm curious, is the Softie that you've got now quite a bit thinner than the chute that you got off of me? I like the comfort that my seatpack chute affords me, but I would like to find a backpack that works so I can use it while I've got the canopy installed.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone with these limitations thought of putting in a seat pan?

robertsailor

Reaction score
I think you could add the depth of the tube size and maybe a little bit more which would certainly help but you can't get too close to the torque tube.

moliver

Reaction score
I don't think a very deep seat panis possible. The seatin my AcroSport IIis about a 1/4 inch above the torque tube. I fly with a backpack style chute, and usually fly aerobatics sitting on the aluminum bottom. That gives me sufficient headroomwith theS-2 style canopy I haveon the plane. I use a piece of memory foamthat crushes down to about 1/2-3/4"for longer flights. I'm 6'2" and about 225 lbs.We moved the rudder pedals about 2-1/2 to 3" forward from where they originally were to get comfortable leg room.

MarkEdited by: moliver

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Cameron,I will check on the one in Barnstormers and see if I can work something out on it.Tad

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Cameron,

I have not yet come up with a parachute that works for me so I decided to go your direction and contacted Butler. They sent me a sizing chart so they could see what they can come up with. I was impressed with their quick response. Most of the "dealers" I contacted have never responded or asked for information and then never got back. I guess I am a hard to fit guy.

hope all is well with you.

Tad

Latest posts