• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

parachute

agcatpilot

Reaction score
Looking for a used emergency shute. I fly a pitts s1c. Not picky on the manufacturer unless someone knows something i dont and if so, please share your input. No seat packs. I am too tall. Let me know if you want to part with one. Thanks.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a good used Chute too, I would like a seat pack though. Send some pics/particulars to [email protected]
Thanks
johnS

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
If you are taller than average you are likely heavier than average. Look for a Strong 303 or 311 back, or a National 425 or 490 back. Security's are really cheap but only good for car covers these days (why they are cheap).

Best of luck,

Wes-the-parachute-rigger

agcatpilot

Reaction score
Thanks for the info pittsdriver68. Are you calling me fat?����. I am 6'1" and weight 180lbs. I think my weight puts me at the threshold for the smaller chutes like the micro softie and like others. Just looking for a nice used one right now. Can't swing 2,500 for a new one right now. Thanks again.

ssmdive

Reaction score
Thanks for the info pittsdriver68. Are you calling me fat?����. I am 6'1" and weight 180lbs. I think my weight puts me at the threshold for the smaller chutes like the micro softie and like others. Just looking for a nice used one right now. Can't swing 2,500 for a new one right now. Thanks again.
Unless you happen to know how to PLF like a champ - And do not happen to land in bad area...... You want the largest parachute you can strap on.

Small is great, till you actually use it.

I base this on 23 years being a jumper, 7K jumps, 34 on rounds.

Get the biggest parachute you can.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
If you are taller than average you are likely heavier than average. Look for a Strong 303 or 311 back, or a National 425 or 490 back. Security's are really cheap but only good for car covers these days (why they are cheap).

Best of luck,

Wes-the-parachute-rigger
Problem is if you are a larger person there is no way you can get the stick back with the HUGE Strong backpack chutes. Your face will also be in the dash. Kinda funny they sell these to big Pitts guys. Wes you must be a skinny little thang :)

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Round parachutes suck! The only time I enjoyed a round chute landing was when the alternative was landing with out a complete, working, chute at all! :p

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I made almost 100 round jumps, most on 28' parachutes, a few on 26' reserves. I used to teach parachute landing falls. My experienced skydiver friends who landed under 24' parachutes did not appear to enjoy the experience. I suspect that most of the readers here would enjoy that landing even less.

I endorse the perspective offered in post #7. You can find used larger parachutes for the same prices that you find used smaller parachutes. The ankle that we are talking about maybe breaking will not be mine. We each make our own quality of life decisions.

I weighed 179 this AM. I fly with a Strong 311 Wedge Back Rig in my Pitts S-2A. I can get the stick back to the stop. But then, I ski-ed this winter and jog a little in the summer to try to keep my boyish figure, and to keep my younger peers worrying about me as a competitor.

Best of luck,

Wes

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes. I know in my heart that you offer excellent advice. But,

I need a chute that makes it possible to still get in/out of the $%$# airplane and it's still possible to read the *&%^& gages with my progressive lenses.... and/or not sticking so far out of the cockpit that I feel like I'm riding on top of the (*^*% airplane....... With due respect you can take your big chutes and......:) In my case the issue is really the airplane itself and my own weight....

I also believe in prayer. I pray the airplane doesn't break or catch fire. If I need to get out I pray I get clear and the chute opens. Only then do I even think about what comes next and I'll continue to pray that I don't bust my butt. At my age/etc. I "may" not survive a severe broken body or even a clot thrown from any broken bone. But I KNOW I won't survive a crashed broken airplane and I do not wish to burn alive either.

I sincerely believe that prayer is more valuable than my chute and considering my chute maybe it better be;)

"MY" rigger says he would not hesitate to jump my Security 250. That's good enough for me.

That said, I'd rather have a decent (thin) seat chute but I am NOT interested in a 24' chute either.

I also need to get serious about losing weight. 179 would be a good goal.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And if you really want to get the discussion going...... I have a micro softie wedge on its way with a PD-170 square in it :D

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
'Don't have a line-over....;)

JimmyProton

Reaction score
And if you really want to get the discussion going...... I have a micro softie wedge on its way with a PD-170 square in it :D

Why so big? Going to have a hard time swooping the wreckage with that "student canopy"! 😝

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yea tell me about it!

skyboltone

Reaction score
I hover between 152 and 155 nekid. Onced in awhile I'll push 160 in the winter time. That's because of comfort food. It all settles at my belt buckle. Then I have to find somebody to tie my shoes. So anyway this is a good discussion and I suppose that in my case, like Jack, getting out of the airplane is more than half the battle. I think the seat style is probably going to be best in my case too but I doubt after the test flying that I'll need it. SA-100s really aren't acro mounts.

Where in the world would one even shop for a used chute? And here's another question; do you suppose that a geezer would learn anything useful by going to a jump school and making some intentional jumps? Or is this just inviting injury?

ssmdive

Reaction score
And how many skydives do you have? If a person has a few hundred jumps, I think a square is a great choice.

I have rounds... But that is only because both my parachutes came with the planes when I bought them. If I were to order new, I might get squares.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
When I look at pilots who wear parachutes, the biggest issue that I observe is that, in their heart of hearts, most are less comfortable using the parachute than they are trying to land an airplane on fire. Fear of the unknown. And no understanding of what using a parachute really involves.

So going and making even a single tandem parachute jump helps overcome the fear of the unknown and lack of knowledge of the mechanics. Knowledge helps make better decisions.

Used parachutes are fine. The typical pilot emergency parachute spends more time in its carry bag than in the airplane. And the depreciation is pretty steep. A 5 year old parachute, never deployed, that originally cost $2200 will sell for $1400 or less, even if it was only worn 5 times. That's just the economics of used airplane parts. Buy it without a repack, returnable within 7 days, and have your local rigger inspect and repack. 95% of the time all will be OK.

Hope that helps,

Wes-the-parachute-rigger

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you have considerable experience stay away from square chutes, soft landings, yes, fun to fly, yes, land where you want, yes, kill you if you don't know how to fly it, in a heart beat! Just like flying our beloved bipes, lack of experience can quickly ruin your day!
All that has been said here is true but we kind of got off track. Why do we wear a chute? Because it is comfortable, or cool, or because we value our butt? To save that butt we need to egress the plane in a timely fashion first and foremost! A broken ankle is a small price to pay for being able to sleep in your own bed that night.
By the way my 5'10" frame in a Smith designed for a 5' 6" man is a struggle and with my seat pack it is even harder and I have practiced it several times and am still not comfortable with doing so but flying with out it is not on the table, at least for the test flights and aerobatics later.
Cross country I plan on not using it and have a seat cushion (much more comfortable) that exactly replaces the chute. OK off my soap box..............

Last edited:

Latest posts