• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Performance Prop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anvil Jr.

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a Sensenich 76-56 prop on my S-1E. No electrical system, but I'm in the process of adding a lightweight starter system.

I'm thinking of switching to a lighter prop for 2 reasons: 1- I wanna keep it light, and make up for the weight gain with starter system. 2- smoother operation, esp with gyroscopic loads.

I like the Sensenich 56 pitch prop for the way it pulls/accelerates at low speeds. The only place I dislike it is in trying to maintain speed on a level line- even at WOT, I decelerate from 180 to 160 in a matter of seconds.

I spoke to Frank at Performance Props yesterday about his "almost-constant-speed" props. Apparently the blades flex as airspeeds vary, limiting RPM at high airspeed and maximizing RPM at low airspeed (hence "almost-constant-speed"). If I've got this right, the prop should pull well at low speeds (e.g. the top of a vertical) but will also allow a faster straight-and-level speed (e.g. driving across the box). My impression is that Performance Props are a bit more common on RVs, and the RV guys seem to speak highly of them; however, I can't find much info on their use for serious aerobatics.

Does anybody have any experience flying aerobatics with these things, especially on an S-1S or similar? Better yet, does anybody have any actual data as to how they perform compared to a metal prop?

Thanks,
EK

Latest posts

Back