• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S-1E Mechanical Tach Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The tach cable broke recently in my Pitts S-1E. To avoid future failures of that kind, I replaced the tach with a Flight Data Systems T-30, and I am pleased with it so far.

One of the T-30 configuration parameters is the reference RPM, at which one wall-clock hour of engine operation produces one hour of tach time on the T-30 recording tach. My mechanical tach was a GMC AC unit, but the decal on the side that should indicate the model number and reference RPM is mostly worn off. The face of the GMC AC unit includes a red arch from 2100 to 2350, within a green arch that goes from 500 to 2700, which suggests to me that the tach may have been supplied with the S-1E kit with those special bezel markings for use with a Sensenich 76EM8-0-56 metal prop, more-or-less aligning with the "Avoid continuous operation 2150-2350 RPM" warning in the Pitts S-1S POH. The Pitts S-1S POH equipment list shows GMC AC model RT-7. The S-1S Parts List says "RT-7 HIGH". I have not found the tach model number in any of my aircraft records. A photo I found on EBAY showed the decal on an AC RT-7 tach, which named 2310 RPM as the reference RPM. This ACS webpage shows 2300 RPM as the reference RPM for the AC RT-7 tach: Mitchell Clockwise Mechanical Tachometers | Aircraft Spruce
So, I'm supposing I should set 2300 RPM as the reference RPM for my T-30 tach, which only allows values of hundreds or fifties for that setting.

My question for the Pitts Brain Trust: What is likely to be the true reference RPM for an S-1E with a Lyc O-360A4A, using an AC tach? Whatever that is, I plan to set the reference RPM in my new T-30 tach accordingly.

- Dave

Latest posts

Back