• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Considering Pitts Model 12, Have Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkrsus01

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am have been considering building a Pitts Model 12 for quite some time, although I have never flown in one yet. I have a few questions for which I’d like some advice.....

1) I see the stall speeds and top speeds are somewhat close to Van’s aircrafts performance numbers (RV-7, RV-8, RV-10). Does anyone have experience flying both planes that can compare and contrast the flight characteristics of the Model 12 to a Van’s plane? If not, how are the overall flight characteristics of the Model 12 and what should I be concerned about (I know roll rate is higher, vertical speed is higher, etc).

(which leads to my next question)

2) I’m about 50 years old and figure it may take me about 10 years to buy, build, and start flying the plane. At 60 years old, will this be too much of a plane for me? I know everyone is different, but I have been an active pilot for over 20 years and fly both my RV-10 and my KitFox on a regular basis (~50 hours per year). I have over 1500 hours (mostly in RV’s and 1/2 of it in tail wheel RV’s) and light aerobatic experience in the RV’s.

I have built several airplanes for myself (RV-4, RV-10, and a Radial KitFox SS7) as well as significantly helped build an RV-7 and another RV-10 quickbuild, so I have good experience in fabric, aluminum, painting, wiring, etc and know what it takes to build a plane. I think this would make an awesome next project for me, but I don’t want to be too old to enjoy it....

I appreciate any feedback and I apologize for my noobie questions :)

Latest posts

Back