• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pin or strap hinges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airfoil

Reaction score
I acquired a nice S1 S project that was all built with factory kit components back in the 70s. Unfortunately the horizontal tail which was not original to the kit, is older pin type hinges, even though the vertical fin rudder is the later strap type. The rear cross tube even has the center bearing support in place. For me to use the components I have I will have to cut that bearing support off and re-work the holes for the bolts at each corner that don’t quite line up. I like the idea of finding the more modern pieces with bearings, do you guys think I will be giving up anything using the pin style? I kind of like that it looks classic And the fabric is 100% sealed on top. The elevators I have also only have a trim tab on the right-hand side.
I just looked on the Steen website, a late-model set is about 1000 bucks, With the twin trim tabs.and of course then I would need new rods. What would you guys do?

Latest posts

Back