• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts Empty Weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman

Rocketman
Reaction score
I weighed my S-1S today. When it was built back in '79 it weighed in at 766 lbs (according to the paperwork and dataplate). Since then it had a few items installed to include an alternator, battery, starter, and associated wiring, switches, and solenoids. There is some paperwork that says it weighs about 810 lbs following the electrical additions.

I'm the kinda' guy that likes to know what I have so I broke out my Intercomp Racing scales to see if the plane put on any more weight :eek:. It came in at 818 lbs with no fuel, just oil.

When I was shopping for my Pitts I saw many that were well above the 850 mark. Last weekend I attended the Ohio IAC Championships and there was a real pretty 'T' model there but it weighed in at over 950 lbs.

I take it mine is about the norm but, now I'm curious of some of the MT weights of your single seaters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back