• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S-1, some questions: aerobatics, RPMs and so on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patric_L

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello to all of you at biplaneforum.com...

That's my first post here (reader for a long time), so I might give a short introduction: My name is Patric, I'm coming from Germany..so pls be considerate if I use the wrong words or if you don't understand the stuff I write :D

I started building and flying R/C models in the age of 5 with the help from my father and have been a Pitts lover since almost ever. In 2011 my Dad and I started finishing a Pitts S-1 Project and the plane flies since last summer.
I got my licence in late 2013 and after my Dad logged a few hours in our S-1 I also got my Pitts instruction in an S-2B and went into the S-1 after that.
Last sepetmber I also finished my aerobatics licence (we need this in Germany to be allowed to do any kind of aerobatics) on a Decathlon and made some trainig flights with the Pitts before winter and snow came.

Last saturday the conditions allowed the first aerobatic rides for 2015 and I captured a little video from it:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPovhs4iQV0&feature=share"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPovhs4iQV0&feature=share[/ame]

I know not very precise and nothing special, I'm a bit rusted from winter break and have not so many hours in the Pitts (maybe about 5h aerobatics only), and also had to deal with the 10+ knots full crosswind. But a good starting point to give you some questions:
My flying will surely look better when I hold the vertical lines longer, which means I need more speed before pulling to vertical and built up more speed on the downline. What is your speed when pulling up to vertical? When I use 170MPH I can hardly do a full vertical roll before the plane starts torque-rolling.
Using more speed will mean higher RPMs...I often read posting that say "these higher RPMs won't blow your engine", but I'm still a bit afraid of it. Never had it over 3100RPMs, reached with full throttle at about 170MPH.

If you don't use higher speeds I maybe have the next problem: the engine. We only use a 160HP O-320 engine that came with the project. Low time engine with Sky Dynamics cross over exhausts, Christen inverted system and Ellison Injector. Anybody an idea how big the difference in performance is to a 360-powered Pitts? We use a Hoffmann wooden propeller and the airplane is about 795lbs dry which seems to be normal weight for the S-1, not super light but also not the heaviest one on earth.

Airplane is mostly classic Pitts, small rudder, bungee gear, but S-1T spec Wings with symmetrical ailerons. Flew it without spades on the video but will remount them soon.

Thanks in advance for your help/answers ;)

Regards
Patric

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back