• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Pitts S1C - two projects for sale

bipe215

Reaction score
It's 15 minutes from me but I haven't seen it. The owner is really young and didn't know what he was getting into I think. I'll see what I can find out.

Steve

cashflyer

Reaction score
Steve - I am not interested as a buyer. Just interested because something does not look quite right to me.

This may be a good project for somebody else, though. He has lowered his asking price to $10,500 for both planes together. Too bad about the O-290.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks right for an early short cockpit. Like my old N95R. Add spinner and wheel pants and it would look better.

If I didn't have too (two too many per Marcia) :) many airplanes already, I'd like to maybe put another Pitts in my hangar. Maybe the one?

I had a O320/150hp on my S1C. A buddy had one w/O290D2/135-140hp and it was close. I weighed 150# back then(don't I wish) and he was about 125# which made it very close. I small guy with O290D2 and right prop will do ok.....IF HE DOESN'T NEED ENGINE PARTS!

Want more horse power......you just got to PAY to play

Jack

Last edited:

vhensley

Reaction score
Did you ever go look at the pitts ? He wants to swap them for my miniplane. Im a little worried getting into a plane thats been deregestered , not sure what all its gonna take to get it legal again.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

Reaction score
If its deregistered then its just parts in my opinion and I would price it accordingly. Going to be a lot of paperwork to get another legal airframe out of the deal.

vhensley

Reaction score
Ok , thanks . Looks like you've saved me twice

Reaction score
I should have also said ...if the C of A has been surrendered then that would be the game changer. Many folks do that because some states bend you over for taxes for even dormant projects.

vhensley

Reaction score
Im guessing its A/W cert. was turned in because he said the faa has it on record but im sure they wont just "give it back" lol

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its on record as in he simply lost it it should not be a big deal although I'd take care of it Before money was exchanged. If it was surrendered that's a different matter that still is workable but alot more pain.

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too

Holtzy3

Reaction score
I actually might be interested in this project. I'm 120 lbs (keep the weight down so my 150 gets more than 250 fpm) so would the 0-290 be all that bad for me? This would be my first pitts so I'm not really sure what to look for

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is, you don't know what you don't know?

As I said above, a small guy would do ok with a "good", strong O290D2. Big issue is the same for any Lycoming that's been sitting. Rust on cam/tappets..... Plus paperwork issue? Gotta ask, why 20k airplane for less than 10?

Other questions. Inverted systems? etc...

vhensley

Reaction score
You might be better off buying my smith mini , its flying and all its paperwork is in order

planegene

Reaction score
I did a search earlier on the N-Number, the one on the plane is a reserved number not registered to any plane. I talked with the owner a couple of times via E-Mail. He says the plane was deregistered but it still has the originL airworthiness certificate. If it was deregistered and the N-Number was turned in. Wouldn't that mean the airworthiness is now nul and void and would take a DAR to do the paperwork to register it as new? How does this work?

Sent from my iPad using Biplane Forum

TFF1

Reaction score
The airworthiness would be null but not void unless he turned that in too. It has to have a current registration to be airworthy, but it does not mean it has no airworthiness cert. I would call the FSDO. I think all you would be doing is applying for registration and applying for a new number. A current condition inspection covers the airworthiness. If the airworthiness is gone whole new ball game.

Latest posts