• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Please help me find an airplane for my wife.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife has started flying power planes again and now she wants to buy a Cessna 150 or 152 to build up some time and confidence before moving into something a little more interesting.

If anyone has a lead or advice on buying a decent Cessna 150 or 152 please drop me an email.

One major obstacle is that she stand 4'-11" and can't reach the pedals/brakes in most airplanes. A stock Cessna 150/152 will for her. Any other recommended aircraft, advice or suggestions on this matter would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Glenn

16700629_1238313419551447_4570997621330600351_o.jpg

Last edited:

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
a good old light straight tail 150. straight tails fly better........ mine was a 1960 and the seat back could move forward possibly enough. if not Oregon aero makes nice cushions just for that purpose.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A stock Cessna 150 is one of the few planes that we've found that will for her.

Last edited:

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
She might be able to reach in a Luscombe -- I decided against getting one since the pedals were too close for me. Of course, it fit about the same as the Champ, just the Champ has tandem seating, and the side-by-side seating in the Luscombe was my real problem. We've already established that she won't be able to hit the pedals in the Champ, so a Luscombe may still be too long.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We need to stock with nosedraggers for the time being.

Reaction score
C-150's of any flavor are the best buy in aviation right now. Thinking of getting one myself.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm.. If I was getting a 150/152 I'd buy an Aerobat. At least you could do an occasional roll...

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
C-150's of any flavor are the best buy in aviation right now. Thinking of getting one myself.

I've found a few C-150s with over 10,000 hours on the airframe. How long do the airframes last?

Any more tips on what constitutes a good buy on the C-150's?

The O-200 has an 1800 hr TBO. Do they usually make it that long?

Poplar Grove Airmotive quoted an engine overhaul with accessories (no camshaft replacement) at $21,000. That's more than these planes are selling for. Sound like I'm buying an engine that just happens to come with an airplane attached to it.

Last edited:

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've found a few C-150s with over 10,000 hours on the airframe. How long do the airframes last?

usually until someone wrecks it......

mid time engine. low time will drive price up, mid time will run for as long as she will need it, high time cheaper but could cause issues.....

mine did. the reality is she will probably only fly it for 100 hrs or so and then want something more fun or more mission specific to start training in.....

Poplar Grove Airmotive quoted an engine overhaul with accessories (no camshaft replacement) at $21,000. That's more than these planes are selling for. Sound like I'm buying an engine that just happens to come with an airplane attached to it.

that's just about the case for most lower end GA airplanes right now.

see above

Last edited:
Reaction score

They made so many of them you don't have to bother with the worn out airframes. Get used to pulling cylinders once in a while on small continentals. Yes, overhaul on an O-200 will give you a heart murmur.

Edit: If you haven't already discovered it the C150/152 folks have a good type club. Plenty of knowledge for a membership. I never got used to saying 152 because I'm old. My favorite is the 64/65 straight tail. My dad bought new 64's for his pipeline patrol business. Cessna built them with long range tanks, higher amp electrical system, patroller doors and single controls. Manual flaps rock on those early C150's.

Last edited:

pigpenracing

Reaction score
My favorites are my J-3 and Cessna 140..... Both are more fun than a 150.
the J-3 gets flown the most but is slow. The 140 cruises about 115mph with the O-200.
Unless you get her a Breezy, that one is fun too :)

Dennis5678

Registered Users
Reaction score
I would go with the Cessna 152. Better resale value and I think the Lyc O-235 has a longer TBO than the Cont O-200.
Buy a best low time engine 152 with nothing to be done to it. Fly it until you have reached it purpose then sell it for about the same price you bought it for.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
she would fit fine in my baby ace!

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Find one with 150 HP's. I had one and loved it. 135 cruise on a climb prop.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's terrific you are getting your wife a plane. Now that's a GIFT.

Latest posts