• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Preflight Discovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcroGimp

EAA 14, IAC 36
Reaction score
Posted this on another board but since the biplanes are almost all wood wing structure figured I would cross-post.

I am a big believer in procedure, and especially of a thorough preflight.

Today that may have saved my life.

It takes a lot of work to prep the 7KCAB for acro sorties. I have to remove the pilot seat back pad since I wear a backpack chute.

I then take the chocks and other stuff out from behind the back seat and secure the back seat belts/harness.

Then I take the fuel sampler, sik-sak's, sectionals and assorted other stuff that ends up in the door pocket out and clip the 2 page checklist to my 9G kneeboard.

Then I have to tie up the 3rd strap that holds the shoulder straps down which normally slides into the pocket on the back side of the seat so that it doesn't swing around during acro and hit me in the back of the head.

Then I tape my high-tech sighting device to the left side window and install my headset and GoPro audio cables.

20140724_161158_zpsihb5smra.jpg

20140724_161205_zpsyyof7gcp.jpg

Once all that is done, usually in the air conditioned hangar before I push out, I move on to the regular preflight.

During today's preflight I made an interesting discovery. When I checked the right aileron cove where the bellcrank and pushrod are, I found a loose piece of wood. On closer inspection it was a corner block.

20140724_163035_zpsxrk0tdjk.jpg

I scratched the flight.

I checked the top and bottom rib caps to see if anything was obviously loose or broken and it all seemed fine. Grabbed the owner and we pulled the closest inspection cover, grabbed a flashlight and quickly found it was from the corner of the cove, not a critical item in the owner's opinion and I agree with that.

20140724_163049_zps4yz4wj1h.jpg

However, had I not noticed it, it could have jammed the aileron and I was planning on slow rolls, half-Cuban's, loops and spins today. Odds are it would have simply fallen out, or bounced around to some other location - but the thought of possibly jamming the controls was quite a shock.

So keep your preflight discipline up, it really is important.

'Gimp

Latest posts

Back