• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Propeller Seal Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Towards the end of my acro flight today I noticed oil on the front windscreen of my Skybolt. Upon landing, there was oil on the top wing leading edge, front and top of Cowl and down the inside of the prop blades. I removed the spinner and this is what I found. Left side clean and dry, right side oily.
LeftSide.jpg

rTsIDE1.jpg

RtSide2.jpg

RtSide3.jpg

Yesterday I flew for about 15 minutes at 20”/2000RPM which forces more oil pressure into the hub to maintain the coarse pitch. I’m thinking that this higher oil pressure blew out the right side seal.
Is that what it looks like to y’all? Have you ever dealt with this before? What is the level of effort required to replace the seal? Any other ideas?
Thanks and best regards,
Brad

Latest posts

Back