• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Question about wind corrector figures 2015 Sportsman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
OK…. So a question about the direction of wind corrector figures.

So, I know that I should turn 'towards the biggest part of the box' on the wind corrector figures (4 & 9).

But lets just assume the rarest of rare days happens and we have zero wind, wind directly on the "X" axis, or not enough cross wind to really be a factor on the "Y" axis….

So lets say that you are flying into the wind on the "X" axis with the judges on your left at the start.

Now, for 'wow' factor it seems that it would be best to end the sequence with the last figure (10) going toward the judges. This means that you will have to do fig 9 as a left turn to end up flying out toward the judges.

But after reading "Better Aerobatics" it seems that you want to be high at the back of the box and get lower and closer as the sequence progresses so the judges have a comfortable viewing angle.

But with no wind on the Y axis, if you drop the first cross wind corrector to the judges (left peddle 1 1/4 spin), then you may not get blown far enough back to the back of the box to be able to ensure that the finish is towards the judges.

ALSO, flying toward the judges and toward the top of the box seems like it goes against 'Better aerobatics" suggestion of high away, low close.

So in a no wind day, or wind only on the X axis… I would think that you would want to spin 1 1/4 right to take you away from the judges to make sure you have enough box left to turn 90 left for the 'wow' finish towards the judges…. Am I using solid logic with all this (High away/lower close, finish towards the judge line)?

So lets say we now have a SLIGHT Y axis off judge wind. would you maybe want to start slightly left justified into the box? Maybe dive 2/3rds into the box so the we have spin room to fly away for the hammer?

Or am I just over thinking all of this and just KISS and turn towards the big side of the box and if that means I finish leaving away from the judges?

Sorry for the stupid questions… Just trying to run scenarios.

Latest posts

Back