• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rant of an inexperienced builder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerofan

Acrosport 2 Builder
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I knew that this was going to be frustrating at times. I never imagined that every little thing I would try to do would be so difficult.

I was hoping to get some ribs complete over the holidays. Last week I discovered that my 1/4" cap strips were not 1/4". The plywood nose blocks I made are 1/4". The cap strips vary between about +1/32" to about +1/16". They are not even square. I did not notice this before I started bending them. Had I known this I would not have pre-cut the angles in the cross members. I was hoping to have an assembly line. This means that the gussets will not sit flat on top of them.

Before I start building ribs I wanted to get the spars milled so that I could make an accurate jig. This evening I was labeling the spars with the correct angles etc. when I noticed that three of them measure different heights at opposite ends. The spars are not square. I had assumed the point behind ordering expensive aircraft grade wood was so that these little issues would be taken care of.

I joined the local EAA because I thought I could hook up with some experienced wood builders. They are all building RV's!

( At this point I become less coherent )

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

But wait!, There is more!

It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get a wood order delivered.

Yeah!

David

Latest posts

Back