• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Real work (well, as real as it gets without a place to build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Realized the other day that although I can't actually get started building anything yet (wing ribs may be coming soon, though I don't technically have a place for them either), that doesn't stop me doing work on the project: I want to get most or all of the steel brackets cut on a waterjet machine, so the first step is to start reproducing them in CAD.

Several false starts later, and I actually got halfway decent results out of FreeCAD (which is, as its name implies, free). This is the -251 cabane strut fitting from Sheet 6 of the Marquart Charger plans. The tab on the lower left is extended about an inch to facilitate bending; it will be trimmed down after it's bent. Ignore the white lines describing pointy corners, I'm not sure how to make those disappear from the view.

For those with waterjet experience, I'd appreciate your advice: I've created the holes about .04" undersize so I can ream them to size. Is that enough? Too much? Are waterjet machines precise enough to just let them get cut to size?

dash-251.jpg

Latest posts

Back