• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Reinforce Lower Cowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed T

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm deep into firewall forward and have just positioned the Comanche nose bowl and attached four channels from firewall to NB. Next step is the upper and lower aluminum panels to lock the nosebowl in place. The Skybolt Builders Guide written by Hale Wallace, Section 13 says: "We recommend reinforcing the lower cowl just ahead of the firewall as this is a high stress area. A piece of soft 1/2" aluminum angle may be used and flush riveted in place."

Since he mentioned soft aluminum I'm assuming one leg of the angle will be shrunk to follow the curve of the lower cowl. My firewall already has a forward facing aluminum angle to attach the lower cowl. Has anyone done this reinforcement, and can you advise me on the orientation and location of this added angle or angles? Has anyone experienced cracking or other problems in this area? Has anyone used another method to beef up the skin in this area, perhaps a doubler? Any ideas or advice would certainly be appreciated, and if the bolt has problems here, good ideas from any other owners or builders of other designs would also be helpful. Thanks--Ed T

Latest posts

Back