• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Ribs (not BBQ)

scottly

Well-Known Member
*
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
1,638
Reaction score
4
Here are some pics of my completed ribs.... maybe I can list some mistakes so some guys won't make the same ones I did. Here is a pic of what I use to mix and apply epoxy. I used System Three T-88 epoxy. I used plastic party cups you buy at any grocery store, wooden sticks I found by the bundle at a craft shop, and the brushes are flux brushes that plumbers use to apply solder flux. These brushes can be had on ebay for about $20 per hundred. Use them once and throw them away.






20070331_131604_mixing_cup_with.jpg



Next is the jig I used. I use 3mil builder's plastic instad of wax paper. Wax paper leaves a residue that must be removed before gluing gussets on other side....plastic leaves no residue.


The lead weights are 2 three ounce fishing weights with a brad nail through the center to hold them together. I have found that 6 onces produces the right amount of squeez-out that I was looking for. I know, they are not nice, pretty round steel weights, but these are cheap, available at Walmart, and it gets the job done. Youy may ask yourself about the amount of squeeze-out I have...compared to others you may have seen, it looks like a lot. Well, in my expereicne, if you don't have squeeze-out from every angle, you have a glue-starved joint. My own test-to-failure joints have proven this to me. Do as you wish, but AI prefer this method. You can take the excess off later with a quick trip to the belt sander. Again, it's just my way....your mileage may vary.


20070331_132212_upper_wing_rib.jpg





This next pic is my nose rib template. I would take a square of birch ply and use a brad nailer to nail it to the template. Using a trim bit in a router, I then trim around to produce my nose rib. The template is made from 3/4 ply and glued to 3/4 ply to support it. You can screw the base to your bench to make life easier for you. The paper you see is what's left of the plans cut-out I glued to the plywood before I cut it with my bandsaw to create the template.


















20070331_132524_nose_template_c.jpg
 

Latest posts

Top