Rigging with third flying wire?!

Discussion in 'Pitts Wings' started by Snap, Oct 7, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 7, 2018 #1

Snap

Snap

Snap

Registered Users

Hello guys,

I'm about to finally tension my flying and landing wires for the first time prior to doing the static load test.

How do you proceed with third flying wires on your Pitts / Ultimate / other biplane? Just doing the "normal" rigging with the front wires only and tensioning the rear ones finally?

It's hard to keep everything aligned with those rear wires.

2. Oct 7, 2018 #2

Tomcat

Tomcat

Tomcat

Snap, the process you describe is what I did when I rigged a 10-200 for a friend of mine a couple years ago. Not sure if it’s truly right or wrong but it worked good and the plane flew straight, and didn’t have any issues pushing or pulling G’s.

Snap likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2018 #3

Snap

Snap

Snap

Registered Users

Thanks Tom for the info! That's what others told me, too. Will stick to this procedure.

4. Oct 9, 2018 #4

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Registered Users

I was told to rig the front flying and rear landing wires as a normal Pitts. Then rig the third wire getting the most tension as possible keeping it square. Curtiss Pitts did not like that wire since it pulls across the wing box structure and called it the do nothing wire. All it does is make the pilot feel good not the airplane.

smizo likes this.
  5. Oct 10, 2018 #5

Tomcat

Tomcat

Tomcat

Rick I’m sure Curtis was spot on. I believe, and could be wrong, that the third flying and landing wire was added to the Ultimate 10-200 and Ultimate Pitts wings to help reduce twist in the wing during full aileron deflection since the ailerons are nearly full span on those wings. I have no clue if there’s any truth to that or if this was just one of those magical mods Gordon Price came up with when he was marketing against the Pitts. Anyone know if there’s any proof to this other than anecdotal opinions?