• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Route 66 via Starduster Too

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabe66

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is simply winter “cabin fever”. Maybe the adult beverage at hand is the cause. But sitting by the fireside, dreaming about summer flying, and this is what I’ve got. I am pipe-dreaming a plan to fly the Mother Road, from near Chicago to near L.A. It is a total of about 2,000 nm. Just flying to the starting point near Chicago represents the longest distance I will have ever flown - by a wide margin! Big deal, you say? So, let’s add another criteria… landing and taking off only from grass or dirt or gravel strips. And how about (maybe) adding a tent camping element? Or at least being ready for that eventuality. Now, let’s visit some of the many abandoned / ghost towns along the way?

So I’ve put together a kmv layer in ForeFlight to display this route, and I can investigate the mostly private, un-paved strips, all along the way. I’ve begun compiling a list of landing strips of more than 2,000 feet long, contact names, phone numbers, etc. I’m going to call or contact each and every one of them to see what the prospects are for getting some fuel. And a tent spot. Not many of these private strips have 100LL fuel available for transients. So this will require some creative planning.

Feel free to chime in with comments, suggestions or elements of your own pipe dream related to this trip. Or maybe you’ve thought about doing something like this, too? Oh well, time to throw another log on the fire. And fill my empty tumbler. Perhaps, more postings later this winter.

Latest posts

Back