• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

SD Airfoil modified M6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gege

Gege
Reaction score
Hi,

Working on the ribs, and knowing that the Airfoil is not exactly a M6, I would know the gaps. I drew the original M6 shape on a plate in order to compare with the SD ribs. My conclusions (I hope I am not so wrong!):

1) the airfoil match more or less with a M6 airfoil with a thickness of 95% (source http://airfoiltools.com).

2) the leading edge is quite matching well with original M6

3) on the extrados and intrados there some differences

I have no experience on design of airfoil and don't know what is the impact on the flight behavior. Was that re-designed of airfoil an improvement for a specific flight caractestic? top-speed, stall-speed, ...

Furthermore I can imagine that with the quantity of SD flying with this design of airfoil, there are no problem at all. But what could be the reason and advantage or disadvantage?

Many thanks for your comments
Gérard

Airfoil M6.jpg

Gap extrados.PNG

gap intrados.PNG

Latest posts

Back