• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt and Crosswinds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I had the privilege of flying our Skybolt with an amazing instructor, Dan (who flies YellowBird) and after having a bit of frustration learning to land the airplane, we listened to the automated weather and heard that it was a 90 degree crosswind:

8kts gusting to 18kts

I was able to get the airplane on the ground (once or twice) but it wasn't pretty. Oh, and I broke a steering spring somewhere along the line and that didn't help.

Needless to say I'll be getting a lot more instruction from Dan.

In any case, this will probably open a can of worms, but I wanted to ask the community:

What are your personal limits on crosswinds, what do you think the aerodynamic limits are, and do you prefer wheel vs. 3-point on the Skybolt in gusty crosswinds?

(Specifically, the Skybolt, not Pitts, Stardusters, etc).

For those who have time in the aircraft, at what point do you find the Crosswinds start to get uncomfortable, and at what point do you personally decide, "Nope, different runway or different airport" with a crosswind?

And I do realize there probably isn't one answer to that question :)..

<tongue-in-cheek-but-not-really>After an hour of landings, for me, that limit seems to be about 1 knot... Someday I hope to graduate to a bit more :).</tongue-in-cheek-but-not-really>

Latest posts

Back