• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Rigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been working on this Skybolt project for a number of years My brother in law started it back in the mid 90s and he brought it to me around 2006 about the same time we go serious on finishing my son Dans Starduster Too. So it got pushed to the side for several yrs. However the last year along with help from my friend Mike, and especially this last month we were finally able to put it all together "I" struts flying and landing wires aileron slave struts pitot nav and strobe wiring!

Then we put some gas in it and drove it around the local airport SPB all seemed to work well high oil press around 100 psi brakes a little wimpy and steering ok but the tail wheel would not kick out! Engine seemed to run fine after warming up and some carb adjustment as it has set for several yrs since its last run.

My question is on the flying and landing wires at the Pitts trunnions what is the weapon of choice for jam nuts? Should they be double nuted or should one just use an elastic stop nut? Also how and what do most builders do for an inspection cover access to these jam nuts after covering as these sections of the wooden leading edge have not been installed yet. Ideas please?

Some pictures for those that are interested. Dave

SAM_0793 skyolt small.jpg

SAM_0818 skybolt small.jpg

SAM_0881 skybolt small.jpg

SAM_0840 skybolt small.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back