• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt turtledeck, v-stab, rudder reshape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, is it considered sacrilege to suggest reshaping part of the Skybolt's design? :D I've seen a number of Skybolts with reshaped aft portions. I am interested in also changing some aft portions to bring out more of a "classic" appearance.

I was curious what can be changed without having a detrimental effect on performance, handling, or safety? Obviously anytime something gets changed we're venturing into unknown territory, but I imagine certain changes can be made with limited risk.

Turtle Deck
This I would want to change over to stringers. I would also like to lower it at both its front and rear to lean up the appearance of the airplane aft of the pilot. Does lowering the turtledeck affect the directional stability of the aircraft? A variation on this would be a lowered turtledeck with a secondary and smaller "headrest" contour much in the same fashion as is seen on James Doyle's beautiful yellow/blue skybolt.

Vertical Stab & Rudder
What artistic liberties can be taken in this area? Maintaining area of these surfaces seems like a good start. How about maintaining the area above and below the Horizontal Stabilizer? Any thoughts on increasing the aspect ratio of the vertical stabilizer and rudder?

Thanks,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back