• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smoke tank options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbiker

Reaction score
One of the things I'd like to do as I rebuild my S1, is to remove the wing tank from the top wing. I don't like the thermos cap sticking up in the wind and all the plumbing for the smoke system running down the rear cabanes. I really like the idea of ripping it all out to lose a little weight and a bit of drag.

None of this is a big problem, except I really want to keep a smoke system installed. I'm looking for ideas on other places to put a smoke tank. So far the only other decent place I can see is between my feet under the fuel tank.

Smoking Airplanes has a plastic tank that will mount down there, but I believe it is only three gallons. I was doing good to make 4 gallons last much more than 6 minutes unless I cranked it way down.

I could probably figure out a custom shape that would fit and hold at least 4 gallons, maybe a little more. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still a ways out from tearing into the top wing, so I have some time to figure out a plan.

Thanks,
Ian

Latest posts

Back