• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Spin Training-Vapor Lock- Engine Quit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artk

Registered Users
Reaction score
Today I was doing inverted spin training. After 3 turns I noticed the prop slowing down to where it was no longer a blurr. I recovered fine but sure enouph the prop stopped and engine quite.

My Catto prop did not windmil upon recovery, I had to hit the starter and cycle the mixutre but it fired right away.

My airplane always gets a bit of vapor lock during hot and dry conditions. I am fairly certain this was the cause. The combination of reversed airflow, idle power, and vapor lock just caused it to quit.

I thought I would make this post and get some thoughts from others. Please chime in and give your two cents.

Do others have vapor lock issues with their IO360. Have you experienced engine out situations like I have today.

I wish I could reduce the vapor lock but it always comes back when it is hot out.

It was suggested that I simply cary a bit of power going into any idle power acro manuever.

Latest posts

Back