• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Starduster N6385C FRANKENDUSTER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a update on Starduster N6385C, I have named Frankenduster. The airplane was built by Gordon Nauta in 1966 and had an extensive racing career. He flew it multiple times across the country from California for racing in Florida and other points on the east coast. He also raced it in Reno three times. The aircraft was sold to purchase a engine for the Pitts that he was building. The aircraft went through a few owners and ended up in Oregon sitting outside for 20 years. As you can imagen a fabric and wood winged biplane did not fair well in that environment. The plane went through extensive work preformed by Paul Schlecker who replaced all of the wood in the aircraft and recovered it. While running the original engine, he had a prop strike and cracked the crankshaft on the original O-290 G the aircraft sat again. One of the members on this forum brought the aircraft to Reno, NV. to get it going again and due to health issues did not get much completed. I was in the market for a small Biplane and actively looking when I found 6385C about two years ago with Dave Baxter's help. Reno is about 100 miles from where I live and the deal was made. I have been flying about 40 years and earlier in my flying owned a 450 Stearman that was a duster, I converted it back to a two holer, so this is my second biplane. I have build up the engine using some of the parts that came with the project. Using an O 290 D2 case and O 320 crankshaft, camshaft, cylinder's, oil sump, and accessory case. Don Adamson was able to build a set of the longer landing gear that fit very well. An complete new brake system was installed using Cleveland wheels and calipers, I had Matco fab some custom master cylinders. All of the wiring was replaced with new including a B&C lightweight starter and alternator. The panel got a Garmin G5 coupled to a Garmin 696, and a Garmin GL 39 for traffic in were installed. An Apperao Stratus ESG took care of the ADSB out. The sheet metal and fairing made by the original builder Gordon Nauta were able to be reused and really accent the lines of the aircraft. Last week I was able to have the first engine start and in a few weeks N6385C should fly again. Following are a few photos. N6385C 8.jpg

Attachments

• N6385C6.jpg
    N6385C6.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 282
  • N6385C 14 small.JPG
    N6385C 14 small.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 285

Latest posts

Back