• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Strapping in properly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopmo

Reaction score

Several weeks ago I was practicing and twice during the session my sleeve caught the lower seat belt latch and pulled it loose during spin recovery. I called Hooker and they straightened me out. I was hooking up wrong. I was hooking everything up on the lower lap belt. Here is their response...

"The crotch strap and shoulder harness should be attached to the upper belt with the crotch strap going over top of the lower buckle.
the correct way and the way that performs best in an accident is to have all of the belts on the same latch. Being on the upper latch has three benefits.

1. <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3" ="Ms&#111;normal">The crotch strap can effectively get tighter.
    <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3" ="Ms&#111;normal">The crotch strap tension will serve as a secondary catch of the belt that is the most prone to inadvertent release.
    <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3" ="Ms&#111;normal">The entire system will be able to get tighter and stay tighter as the upper belt is the one where the ratchet is located. </LI>

This is not a topic that most people think of so most will not say anything until they have had difficulties as you have described.

Scott McPhillips
Hooker Custom Harness, Inc.
324 East Stephenson Street
Freeport Illinois 61032
Tel: 815-233-5478 Email: [email protected]"

I took a pic after fixing my belts...
20110521_131258_DSCF1041.JPG

Edited by: Chopmo

Latest posts

Back