• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Sutton harness -- new or make your own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Registered Users
Reaction score
If you're like me and like things that are 1) simple, 2) cheap, 3) light and 4) cool in an old-fashioned way, then how about a Sutton harness for your biplane? Sutton harnesses were some of the first quick-release harnesses and were standard issue on RAF fighters in both world wars. In short, they are made up of four (or five) straps with grommeted holes and something like a big clevis pin through all of them with a sort of cotter pin through that.
I had heard the term before, but recently I found a copy ofBUILD AND FLY YOUR OWN PLANE by ex-RAF Hurricane pilot Robert Lowe about building an Evans Volksplane VP-1. In it, he describes how to make your own Sutton harness from seat belt webbing, grommets and other hardware for less cost and significantly less weight than a factory seat harness. And if it was good enough for a Hurricane or Spitfire....
If you don't want to make your own, but are looking for that period feel for your plane, you can order them Anglia Sailplanes in the UK, who make them for the Tiger Moth guys but will adjust to any length you need. Their site is a little sparse, and no prices or photos, but here is photo of one of their products from the Chilton Aircraft site (about 2/3 down the page).
20100801_171542_sutt&

Just thought I'd share...
Cheers,
Matthew

Latest posts

Back