• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

TBI O-320 RPM Loss After Takeoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
TBI O-320 RPM Loss After Takeoff. RPM Dropped to around 1700-1800 RPM.

This is a new thread since I don't know that this is a fuel issue at this point. :confused:

I'm getting very frustrated with this intermittent problem and I am scared to fly the plane again until I solve it. I thought I had found the cause, fixed it, enjoyed a great performing engine on the test flight, flew and additional three hours, and then it occurred again.

What is making this so frustrating is that the problem is intermittent and I cannot find a pattern to safely reproduce it.

The next item I will be investigating is the possibility of sticking valves. I will probably have the engine shop do this work since I don't have all the specialty tools.

I'll be testing all the spark plugs again.

I also want to revisit the fuel tank vent. The vent line exits the top of the tank, turns down the firewall with a few zig zags, and exits the cowl at the bottom of the firewall. It terminates with a 45 degree forward facing cut. This is masked from direct airflow via the bottom lip of the cowl. Because of the zig zags, i have been unable to snake anything through it. I have hose clamped a rubber hose to it and can blow air through it. I can't gauge airflow through it. What else can I do here to check the vent line? (the last time this happened, the tank was 3/4 full and I had removed the cap from the tank to verify the fuel level. If the vent was blocked or partially blocked, would the problems start suddenly or gradually? I would think gradually.

I'll be getting a second set of eyes on the fuel system.

What else can explain this?? :confused:

Thanks,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back