• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted - Pitts S1 Straight Engine Mount 0-320

Pteroworks

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for a Pitts S1 Straight Engine Mount (non-dynafocal) for 0-320. This is a friend's project that has been sitting around for too many years that we are going to try to get flying on a modest budget so don't mind cleaning up something you might have lying in the back of the hangar.

Thanks

Rob.

[email protected]

Last edited:

wally

Reaction score
Hi Rob,

It is possible to make your own mount. Mine is a dynafocal I made but you should be able to make one too. If you don't know far forward to mount the engine, just weigh the complete airplane, weigh the engine, prop and everything firewall forward you can gather, then do a weight and balance calc.

Then build a wood framework to hold the engine at the right height, level the fuselage, position the engine your calculated distance from the firewall. Cut and tack weld the tubes between the two. Remove it, finish weld, clean it up and paint it.

Easy.
Wally

Pteroworks

Reaction score
Hi Wally,

Thanks for the reply. We will be over at your hangar Saturday morning with lots of tubing...

I actually have the plans for the mount but figured there had to be some straight mounts around since most seem to end up with the dynafocals at some point. Building one is the plan B if I haven't found one in the next few weeks. I have welded tubing in the past but just a little intimidated by the engine mount.

If I can't find one, perhaps I could pick you brain a little bit further on how you went about welding yours.

Thanks,

Rob

planegene

Reaction score
Mine is a straight conical mount. If you need I can take some pictures and get some measurements.

Gene

image-2858570907.jpg

image-1117100548.jpg

pitts1e

Registered Users
Reaction score
I've got one that I probably won't use. I got it second hand and it was supposed to be built to plan specs for the S1S fuselage I have. I just have never verified the dims.

Pteroworks

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded and took the time to send pics and measurements. Much appreciated. I have found one that is the perfect fit and close enough to drive to as well.

Rob

Carlyle

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gene. are you selling your mount with the rod gear ???

planegene

Reaction score
No I'm not selling mine. I just posted saying I could get measurements off mine if needed.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one that I probably won't use. I got it second hand and it was supposed to be built to plan specs for the S1S fuselage I have. I just have never verified the dims.
PM sent

planegene

Reaction score
Lucasjenni said:
Gene, Do you know the wall thickness of the tubing by chance? Thanks, Luke
Ya know I really don't know the size and thickness but I have a set of plans that I can look it up

Latest posts