• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted - single slider bubble canopy for pitts.

Pierre Pechon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have an open cockpit S2E in New Zealand, and I would like to put a single slider bubble canopy on the back cockpit (I already have the turtle deck cover to cover the front cockpit). Currently both cockpits are open, and it's noisy and cold!!!! Do please get in touch either by email which is pierrepechon at doctors dot org dot uk or whatsapp on my mobile - which is + sixty four, two seven, six four nine five two three eight.

I am a newbie to the pitts world - currently have 20 or so hours in my pitts, and only soloed it twice, so I am not in a huge rush. I have plenty of mates in the USA that can forward parcels to me, if you have worries about sending things abroad to some unknown guy !!
and once our damned lockdown stops I'm visiting the USA soon anyways -
many thanks, Pierre

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
The original single place canopy addition to the S-2A's was done by Art Scholl. My ship has it. I will offer the opinion that Airplane Plastics in Ohio makes the best canopies out there. Airplane Plastics Ohio | United States | Airplane Plastics The Scholl canopy mod is pictured below. The sheet metal for the tracks sticks out a little but that avoids changing the existing sheet metal. And you can see that the canopy comes back off with 4 quarter turn fasteners on each side.

Since your have an S-2E you may choose to modify your side sheet metal to move the canopy tracks inboard for a sleeker installation.

Best of luck,

Wes

1630680545237.png

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the cockpit surround panel is stock with the factory single canopy installation which is nearly the same as the S-1S installation (and unlike the S-2S which modifies the cockpit surround panel). The coaming has to be dealt with in either case to keep the canopy fasteners from making hard contact. Mine was making contact on both the coaming and the panel itself. Looks like the Scholl design solved that by moving the rail outboard a little to provide clearance.
DSCN4426a.jpg

Last edited:

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steen Aerolab sells a nice single place canopy for the Pitts, one was installed on my S2S.

Latest posts