• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Aerobatic LSA Biplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfool

Reaction score
I have been trying to find an aerobatic single place biplane that is LSA eligible that I may build some day. I have posted a couple a single place Buddy Baby Lakes and the Smith Mini being LSA eligible.

My search may have led me to my answer in an old 1970's design. The Stolp V-Star (SA-900). Another possibility is the original Stolp Starduster 1 (SA-100).

The V-Star is clearly without a doubt LSA compliant but the aerobatic capability may be a bit lacking especially in roll rate from the little bit of research I've done so far. The SA-100 may be more capable but I'm not sure about the stall speed being able to meet LSA.

Does any one have any info on the V-Star? The articles I've read so far don't give dimensions but it is powered by 65 HP up to 125 HP.

The V-Star is two ailerons on the lower wing only. Would you gain much additional roll rate if a person built slaved ailerons on the top wing? Or does this just add weight and complexity for little gain?

Latest posts

Back