• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

After 52 Years . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1700184389199.png

My son's Pitts S-2A, s/n 2004, is being prepped for recover this winter. All three wing panels have been stripped of fabric, and all have some minor issues with glue joints, mostly in corner blocks and the aileron cove strips, and of course the wing walk plywood, but are in remarkable condition considering their age and having never been recovered before. There were numerous mud dauber nests, and for some odd reason a large handful of insulation type material, but no signs of rodents having made their home in the wings. The fuselage and left wing have natural fabric color inside, but the right wing was blue, indicating being covered at a different time maybe, or just with pigmented nitrate. I am not sure what the factory used back in 1971, but I suspect ceconite with nitrate and dope topped with polyurethane. The original paint is in very good condition but we just felt like it was time, and it really is.

Danny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back