• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Airplane madness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A story followed by a question.

I've been flying more in the last year than I have in the previous 5-6 years combined (maybe even more than that). The majority of that flying, at least in terms of presence-of-mind if perhaps not actual hours, has been the 1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC I've been flying out of Harvey Field (S43) near Seattle. It's been upgraded to a C85, and it has electric start if you have external power hooked up, but is otherwise pretty stock.

Every time I go up in that little plane, I get a big grin on my face, and spend the whole flight beatifically surveying my world. I expect that my completed Charger, a decade from now, will probably produce a similar effect.

The fly in the ointment is that the Champ I'm renting comes with an asterisk on the rental agreement: I'm not allowed to shut down the engine anywhere except Harvey Field, presumably because their insurance or their lawyer would excrete ocher masonry at the thought of me hand-propping the plane (and no lie, I'm very leery of hand-propping a plane, because I've never done it, and I mostly fly solo, which seems to up the danger quotient quite a bit). So, I can fly around all I want, but I can't go anywhere.

Thus, I've been thinking about buying a plane to tide myself over until my real plane (the Charger) is done. I was looking hard at the Beech Musketeer line last year, but I'm so enjoying taildraggers now that I find my eye wandering toward the Champ/Chief/Champion line, Luscombes, Stinsons, etc. I will want to wander the sky locally, but the occasional ~150 nm trip to Scappoose will definitely happen, as well as shorter local flights for $100 hamburgers or sightseeing.

I guess I have two questions for the group.

The first is, am I mad to contemplate owning one plane while building another? I realize this is mostly on me and how my life is situated, but I'd be interested to hear related anecdotes.

The second is, am I mad to contemplate buying a plane that's twice my own age as a regular flyer? I wouldn't blink twice at owning a 1970s Cessna/Piper, but I don't know what daily life is like with a 40s era plane.

Latest posts

Back