• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

An addicts confessions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber25

Registered Users
Reaction score
My first post to this forum was 13 months ago when I inquired about the comparison between a Pitts S1S and a DR monoplane. Specifically, how one verses the other performs at our high DA’s here in Colorado. Much good information was gleaned from this forum and locally and the more I thought about it the little classic Pitts won me over. I logged four long cross country flights last winter in perfect flight conditions but did not find the right one until I heard about the Pitts just 100nm north of me. Let me say, going Pitts hunting is not as easy as some make it out to be but l think I ended up with the best of the lot.

With less than three hours in a S2B, I proceeded to do the S1S dance with my new acquisition last March. To my chagrin the first eight landings had me question my previous 3500 hours of tail dragger time but after careful inspection I found the landing gear configuration needed some shimming to get the proper toe-out. She’s still a tiger by the tail but attention to detail has made the landings mostly acceptable with the occasional, let’s do another one before putting her in the hangar.

Now with 35hrs, 66 flights and 116 landings I find myself eagerly anticipating our next rendezvous. This summer had other activities that required my attention but the last three months with cooler temps has me flying the Pitts frequently and I’m now working on the sportsman routine for 2015.

Someone here mentioned “the hook was set” after rereading some old posts and was he ever right. The only regrets I have about getting an S1S is that I didn’t do it years ago. Compared to my RV4 she’s an anachronism but that’s what I love about her. While participating in an airshow with my RV4, my wife hovered over my static Pitts like a mother hen and both young kids and old kids J like me declared her the favorite plane on the flight line.

I have the newly installed Reiff sump heater set for a morning flight to further explore those upright flat spins followed by practicing the routine. Maybe next week I’ll work up the courage for inverted flat spins. I’ll never get to the level I see here on the forum but it’s a worthwhile goal to pursue while I’m still limber enough to strap in.

Wishing you a healthy and happy holiday.
Cheers, Hans

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back