• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another bolt question - elevator tab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeF

Reaction score
I'm going through my Bolt and fixing a few items the builder did wrong(exchanging clevis bolts for pins in the pushrods, for example).

Onsheet 11 of the plans, I learned I have the 'alternate' pushrod end, with the welded plate in place of the bushing. During the annual, we found a locking bolt holding the rear elevator pushrod to the elevator horns, necessitating a change in the bolt from locker to a drilled bolt/castlated nut/cotter pins. There isn't any info on the plans about what type of bolt to use for the alternate design.

There is very little room for a bolt (or a hand!) in there, andwith full aft elevator, the horngets close to the tailpost, so I'm limitedinbolt size or else it may bind.

I'veinstalled an AN4-5 bolt and it fits well at full aft elevator, but the shank is a bit short, soone elevator tab rides on the threads.

Anysuggestions on what to do here?

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Back