• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another new engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
Well, I don't have any pichures neither to show but I got a new one coming my way too. All these parts are in the mail so to speak but I'm slowly getting my parts together. This is for the Starduster SA-100

1) One brand new never been used don't know where he found them Lycoming O-290D2 case. It's at the shop being punched out for O320 cylinders as we speak. I'll use my sump and accessory case off the converted GPU on the airplane.
2) Non yellow tagged but definitely airworthy O320 crankshaft with all new standard main and rod bearings.
4) 4 brand new low compression nickel plated ECI cylinders. I need to collect a coffee can full of push rods in various lengths yet and the @#$!%&* expensive rocker arms. The ones in the GPU won't work

We're tracking down the cam & lifters & hydraulic units right now.

Yet to buy also are new rods, nuts, bolts, gasket kits and fiddly bits that I can't pull off the GPU.

I've got the MA-4SPA already and a pair of Bendix mags that all need to be re-built.

I bought the nickel cylinders because I'm told the rings will seat good enough for taxi testing and preliminary flights after an hour on the test stand. So, I'll be looking for any danged old rusty conical mount to build up a stand. I have seen a picture of one built with a big heating and air conditioning elbow fastened temporarily to the upper baffling to direct the prop blast through the cylinders. Any advice on that score would be appreciated.

And Dave, I haven't snatched that gear and engine off there yet because it's 120F in my hangar and I don't fancy working on the airplane at 2AM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back