Anyone Know anything about MT Props?

Discussion in 'Steen Skybolt' started by cactusav8r, May 19, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 19, 2018 #1

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Lifetime Supporter

I am looking/musing over the idea of putting an MT prop on my Skybolt. I found a serviceable used one that came off an Extra.. Question is, is it really better than my old Aerobatic Hartzell? I am looking at putting a new Hub on mine, though my EddyCurrent passed with zero issues, by the time I buy a hub and have mine rebuilt I could buy this used MT and have a pretty darn new fancy 3 blade. Is it worth the trouble? Would it work for my plane? Would it really be Better or just Different? MTV-9-B-C/C200-15 is the prop.

Please give me your thoughts and opions..

Thanks in advance...

2. May 19, 2018 #2

grassroots

grassroots

grassroots

Premium Member

Unless you’re trying to imitate Sean Tucker with 180 MPH shoulder rolls, keep the metal Hartzell- it actually performs a little better than the MT.

Bond007 likes this.
  3. May 19, 2018 #3

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

I was thinking the weight savings would be worth it. Who knows, perhaps a Shoulder Roll at altitude could be in my future.

4. May 19, 2018 #4

aobt14

aobt14

aobt14

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I love mine and wouldn't fly behind anything else. Once you go MT you never go back :)

Defenseman1 likes this.
  5. May 19, 2018 #5

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

Registered Users Supporting Member

Overhauls on the MT is about a factor of three vs the metal hartzell.
    A recent quote for my prop was $6600. Kind of makes me want to start looking for a hartzell.
    The MT is very smooth, however and so far have no complaints.

6. May 19, 2018 #6

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Mine overhauled, (not that I have to have it overhauled but if I put a new Hub on it, it would be foolish to do with out overhauling it) costs about $6K or so. Most of the cost is in the Hub replacement.

7. May 19, 2018 #7

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

8. May 19, 2018 #8

Aerobaticorsu

Aerobaticorsu

Aerobaticorsu

Registered Users

No global weight saving with the MT prop...
    The weight is close to the rotation center with the MT as it is far on the blades with the Hartzell and thus makes more torque on the crankshaft.

9. May 19, 2018 #9

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

I second this, performance is better with the metal prop

10. May 19, 2018 #10

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

As a prop they are good props. They are delicate. Hook a coat flap on the tip walking by could crack the tip. Delicate as the fabric on the wings. Some have had the skin Delaminate. Only a few shops actually can fix it so they send them out too. One time damaged and your cost savings went out the window.

11. May 19, 2018 #11

plschulten

plschulten

plschulten

Originally had the stock 2 balde, now the 3 blade MT. Had to relearn how to fly the airplane, it was like someone took a damper out of the elevator control! MUCH less gyroscopics. You WILL lose some cruise speed, but much better low speed performance. The last part of up lines lasts much longer. Balance very well and very smooth, lots less wear and tear on the airframe and me for not worrying about it.

MT sponsors me and are very generous with the aerobatic community. Their service has been very generous and good as well, the guys here in Deland FL are great and really go out of their way for me. Very knowledgeable and take a lot of pride in what they do. Very happy with my MT prop and proud to represent Gerd Muehlbauer and his fine products!

12. May 19, 2018 #12

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I will second that MT is very generous with the aerobatic community. When I go by Sun-N-Fun I do my best to catch Gerd Meuhlbauer at the MT booth and say thankyou.

Best of luck,

Wes

plschulten likes this.
  13. May 19, 2018 #13

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Registered Users

I really liked the MT's I had on my Yak And S2B. Very smooth and aesthetics were great. Performance gains always open for debate, but gyroscopics are a bit different. I think I saw that used MT for sale. Did that have stripes on it? That might negate the aesthetic advantage.

14. May 19, 2018 #14

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Haven’t got a pic of it, yea it’s on Barnstormers.. seems like there was a pretty detailed comparison for Props floating around, but I can’t find it...

I’ll probably just hold off on doing anything right now, sounds like it’s maybe an even, albeit different trade off, and mine is perfectly blemish free and doesn’t Have to have a new hub or be rebuilt right now.. I think I’ll split the difference and spend the money on 100ll, if I get bored Not doing Shoulder Rolls I’ll look further a few years from now.
    Still the MT would be a sexy beast on my Skybolt.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  15. May 19, 2018 #15

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

It’s Plain Black with Red tips... The Spinner is Blue. (Not to be confused with a melancholy girl friend, it’s not quite the same)

16. May 19, 2018 #16

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

If you are patient with your favorite prop shop, you might be able to take advantage of a Cessna/Piper/Mooney owner who is trading in their B-hub two blade Hartzell for one of the newer Hartzell or McCauley conversions. When a prop shop gets a used compact-hub Hartzell in trade, they tear it down and sell the parts. So you might be able to wait-list for the next B-hub that comes in. It took me a couple of month's wait, but that is how I got a good used B-hub to put my blades into as an "overhaul". A used hub is 1/2 the price of new.

Best of luck,

Wes

17. May 19, 2018 #17

death trap

death trap

death trap

I know you are sponsored by MT and you have “Learned to Fly with it “ . Having Deland MT in our backyard is very convenient for maintenance. How many times has your prop been removed and sent to MT in the past 7 years ? Now image if you had to ship it in the giant triangular box each time , pretty pricey. I know Doug and Sandy have sent theirs in for blade repairs and hub upgrades . Do they make a two blade aerobatic prop ?

18. May 19, 2018 #18

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

MT does make a two blade aerobatic prop. Decathlons fly with them. The S-2A STC uses a 3 blade as the weight of the 3 blade MT is almost the same as the 2 blade Hartzell. Maybe 2 lbs more. Which makes the STC process easier as you are not changing the aircraft weight and balance.

A poster here investigated getting MT to approve the 2 blade on the S-2A some time ago. At that time there wasn't enough noise data on file. Might be worth asking the question again. The 2 blade is 12 or so lbs lighter than the 3 blade. Which moves the CG aft. That may or may not be an issue for some.

Best of luck,

Wes

19. May 20, 2018 #19

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

I’m sorta on a wait and see list, for a replacement hub, it’s really not that much cheaper than a new one though and if you “go ahead and rebuild” it, it’s gets a bit pricey...

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  20. May 20, 2018 #20

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

MT sponsored the doomed Acroblast! contest this weekend. Since we had already deposited the money I asked Gerd where to send the check. He said, "Keep it. Use it next year." It is really hard to find that sort of generosity in aviation, where stuff is expensive but the margins are small.

biplanebob, smizo and plschulten like this.