• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

ASII valuation/purchase advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy!

First timer here, take it easy on the new guy! I have been eyeballing an ad for an AS2 listed in TN for several months, and finally decided to go for it. I flew up here yesterday and overall am very convinced! I'll be placing a deposit on it, pending a few things the sellers need to finish up and getting my own financing in order. To that end, I need to help the banker I'm working with establish a proper valuation on it. In the process, I'll take all the advice I can get!

This one was built mostly by Bill Sattler in Lebanon, TN, who sadly passed on just before finishing it. The pre-cover inspection was done by Mr. Poberezny himself in 96', with the comment in the log entry "excellent workmanship." It was completed by the sellers only two years ago, and has a whopping 26hrs on the airframe (yes, they'll be completing the 40 hours for airworthiness before sale is complete) and about 70hrs on an O-360-A4D that was previously on a Starduster. The engine is the biggest concern because it has sat in a climate controlled hangar for the bulk of 30 years with only those few hours on it. Sellers tell me they pulled the accessory case and inspected the rearmost cam lobe, installed new oil pump per AD, and borescoped when they took ownership. Full inverted oil/fuel, etc, and the fit and finish is easily 9/10. At 6'2" I'm a little tight on head room under the canopy, which I'm pretty sure is the same one used by most S2B's. Otherwise I fit in it very comfortably.

Can anyone help me with providing comparable sale histories for the bank? It's a tough proposition because this one is basically brand new, and trying to compare it to any existing sale ads (I believe theres only one other currently listed) is a little misleading.

Any other advice for pre-buy inspection/inspector and for a prospective first-time bipe/acro owner, I'm all ears!

Attachments

• 20210324_114334.jpg
    20210324_114334.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210324_113050.jpg
    20210324_113050.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210324_112918.jpg
    20210324_112918.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 144

Latest posts

Back